- Find an Accredited Assessor
- Our ratings
- Spaces we rate
- Estimate your rating
- Find a current rating
- After your rating
- NABERS Accelerate
- Commitment Agreements
- Data gallery
Go to top of page
In this section
NABERS ratings for hotels quantify your hotel building’s energy and water performance. We give your building a rating from one to six stars, based on the energy and water efficiency of common areas, guest rooms, back of house facilities and on-site amenities. Your NABERS rating can then be used to identify areas for cost savings and building improvements, as well as to promote the environmental credentials of your hotel, helping you to attract greater investment and increase guest loyalty and engagement. Ratings can be promoted either including or excluding green power.
We rate standard, suite, boutique, conference, gaming/casino, ski and spa hotels, and factor in shared space usage in mixed-use buildings into your rating. When calculating your rating we account for all onsite services and amenities that are unique to your building, including:
- Function and conference rooms
- Spas and saunas
- Indoor/outdoor swimming pools
- Restaurants and cafés
We adjust for differences between hotel quality, so it’s always a fair comparison. Additionally, even if your occupancy rates fluctuate throughout the year, our algorithm uses an average over the year, so you’re always being assessed fairly.
To prepare for your NABERS rating:
1. Get ready: Source quotes from a few NABERS Accredited Assessor to understand the scope of work (site hours and consulting hours). Seek internal approval from senior management. Consider setting public sustainability targets to
2. Gather your data: Collect 12 months of historical data on energy and water consumption, and details about the size and features of your building. Your Assessor will be able to guide you.
3. Achieve NABERS certification: Organise for your Assessor to conduct a site visit to validate your data and identify areas for improvement.
4. Improve your rating: Take action to reduce your energy and water consumption during the next 12 months and enjoy the savings. Collect data to feed back into your next rating to track your performance.
For more information about preparing for a hotel rating, please see our NABERS for Hotels fact sheet.
This year NABERS is providing financial relief to sectors heavily affected by COVID-19. As such, we are waiving the NABERS fee for ratings lodged between 1 July 2020 and 30 June 2021. The following ratings are available NABERS fee-free to all hotels:
- Energy: FREE, normally $1,250
- Water: FREE, normally $1,250
- Carbon Neutral (including the Climate Active fee): FREE, normally $1,985
The NABERS fee waiver will automatically be applied when an Assessor lodges a rating. Find out more about pricing and the conditions of the offer here. Please note the Assessor fee will still be applicable and will vary depending on the size of your building and complexity of the metering.
For any queries please email nabers [at] environment.nsw.gov.au, or speak directly with your Assessor contact for any queries.
Don't have an Assessor yet? Find a NABERS Accredited Assessor here.