- Find an Accredited Assessor
- Our ratings
- Spaces we rate
- Estimate your rating
- Find a current rating
- After your rating
- NABERS Accelerate
- Commitment Agreements
- Prediction tools
Go to top of page
In this section
NABERS ratings for hotels quantify your hotel building’s energy and water performance. We give your building a rating from one to six stars, based on the energy and water efficiency of common areas, guest rooms, back of house facilities and on-site amenities. Your NABERS rating can then be used to identify areas for cost savings and building improvements, as well as to promote the environmental credentials of your hotel, helping you to attract greater investment and increase guest loyalty and engagement. Ratings can be promoted either including or excluding green power.
We rate standard, suite, boutique, conference, gaming/casino, ski and spa hotels, and factor in shared space usage in mixed-use buildings into your rating. When calculating your rating we account for all onsite services and amenities that are unique to your building, including:
- Function and conference rooms
- Spas and saunas
- Indoor/outdoor swimming pools
- Restaurants and cafés
We adjust for differences between hotel quality, so it’s always a fair comparison. Additionally, even if your occupancy rates fluctuate throughout the year, our algorithm uses an average over the year, so you’re always being assessed fairly.
To prepare for your NABERS rating:
1. Get ready: Source quotes from a few NABERS Accredited Assessor to understand the scope of work (site hours and consulting hours). Seek internal approval from senior management. Consider setting public sustainability targets to secure approval.
2. Gather your data: Collect 12 months of historical data on energy and water consumption, and details about the size and features of your building. Your Assessor will be able to guide you.
3. Achieve NABERS certification: Organise for your Assessor to conduct a site visit to validate your data and identify areas for improvement.
4. Improve your rating: Take action to reduce your energy and water consumption during the next 12 months and enjoy the savings. Collect data to feed back into your next rating to track your performance.
For more information about preparing for a hotel rating, please see our NABERS for Hotels fact sheet.
Get access to the NABERS Waste Platform and receive a NABERS Waste Verification Report once a NABERS Accredited Assessor has verified your data. Upload and track your building’s waste data month-to-month using a platform that converts your data into useful management insights.
You’ll receive the following results in your verification report;
- Verified Recycling Rate (VRR) (previously Adjusted recycling rate) is the adjusted recycling rate after the assessor has assessed the data quality score it has been applied to recycling rate
- The Material Recovery Score (MRS) recognises a building’s contribution to better resource recovery and reduced potential pollution, by rewarding the best feasible recovery of material
- Waste Intensity is the total weight of waste generation of total area of the building
- Verified waste score (previously Normalised recycling rate) – A composite metric of VRR and MRS, this is the final adjusted score using the assessors assessed verified recycling rate that incorporates data quality and the material recovery score that looks at resource recovery.