- Spaces we rate
- Our ratings
- Find an Accredited Assessor
- Find a current rating
- Estimate your rating
- After your rating
- Commitment Agreements
- NABERS Accelerate
- Data gallery
Go to top of page
NABERS ratings for data centres provide an indication of the operational energy efficiency and environmental impact of data centres in Australia. We give your data centre a rating from one to six stars based on its Power Usage Effectiveness (PUE), a globally accepted metric. NABERS for data centres is based on a facility’s actual operational data, not design. Your NABERS rating can then be used to identify areas for operational improvements and cost savings, as well as to promote your environmental credentials to help you win business from blue chip clients. You can use your NABERS rating to compare your data centre’s energy performance to others across Australia.
There are three different levels of ratings depending on needs:
- IT Equipment: This rating is for organisations who own or manage their IT equipment (including servers, storage devices, network equipment) and do not control data centre support services such as air conditioning, lighting and security. The rating benchmarks the emissions associated with the energy consumed by the IT equipment, allowing organisations to determine the efficiency of their equipment. The less energy consumed for a given level of capacity, the more efficient the data centre and the higher the rating.
- Infrastructure: This rating is for data centre owners and managers. It allows them to determine their facility’s energy efficiency in supplying the infrastructure services to the IT equipment housed in a data centre. This rating is suitable for co-location centres where the operators do not have control of any tenant IT equipment but provide the cooling and power delivery systems.
- Whole facility:This rating combines both the IT Equipment and Infrastructure tools and is designed for organisations that both manage and occupy their data centre or where internal metering arrangements do not permit a separate IT Equipment or Infrastructure rating.
To prepare for your NABERS rating:
1. Get Ready: Source quotes from a few NABERS Accredited Assessor to understand the scope of work (site hours and consulting hours). Obtain internal approval from senior management. Top tip: To ensure buy-in, calculate the energy savings from increasing your star rating; it’s impressive!
2. Gather your data: Collect 12 months of historical data on energy and water consumption, and details about the size and features of your building. Your Assessor will be able to guide you.
3. Achieve NABERS Certification: Organise access for your assessor to conduct a site visit to validate your rating.
4. Improve your rating: Your NABERS rating lasts for 12 months. Take action to reduce your energy and water consumption during the next 12 months and enjoy the savings. Collect data to feed back into your next rating to track your performance.
For more information about preparing for a data centre rating, please see our NABERS for Data Centres fact sheet.
This year NABERS is providing financial relief to sectors heavily affected by COVID-19. As such, we are waiving the NABERS fee for ratings lodged between 1 July 2020 and 30 June 2021. The following ratings are available NABERS fee-free to all data centres:
- Energy: FREE, normally $1,250
The NABERS fee waiver will automatically be applied when an Assessor lodges a rating. Find out more about pricing and the conditions of the offer here. Please note the Assessor fee will still be applicable and will vary depending on the size of your building and complexity of the metering.
For any queries please email nabers [at] environment.nsw.gov.au, or speak directly with your Assessor contact for any queries.
Don't have an Assessor yet? Find a NABERS accredited Assessor here.