- Data gallery
Go to top of page
In this section
A Commitment Agreement is a contract signed by a developer or owner to commit to design, build and commission a building to achieve a specific NABERS energy rating.
Commitment Agreements can be signed for the following new and refurbished buildings:
- Offices (base building, whole building and tenancy)
- Shopping centres
- Data centres (infrastructure, IT equipment, whole facility)
- Apartment buildings
1. Obtain a contract
- Sign the Commitment Agreement contract and pay the fee
- We'll send you a counter-signed contract
- You then have a limited licence to promote your target rating using approved wording from NABERS
You must then:
2. Design, document and model
- Design the building or space to operate at the energy performance level nominated in your Commitment Agreement
- Prepare the model, simulation report and minimum documentation as detailed in the Handbook for Estimating NABERS ratings (PDF, 1.44MB).
3. Get an Independent Design Review (IDR) report
- Contract a member of the Independent Design Review (IDR) Panel to review the project and obtain an IDR report as detailed in the Handbook for Estimating NABERS ratings (PDF, 1.44MB).
4. Submit the IDR report
- Email the IDR report to nabers [at] environment.nsw.gov.au
- After we've approved the report you'll have a full licence to promote your target rating. This includes using the Commitment Agreement certificate and logo.
5. Get a NABERS performance rating once the project is in operation
- Arrange for a NABERS Accredited Assessor to carry out a Performance Rating on the premises when you reach the planned or agreed date for the building or space type’s NABERS Energy performance rating. This rating will be based on 12 months of real, operational energy usage.
There are many reasons to sign a Commitment Agreement, including:
- Increased capital value
- Decreased operational energy costs
- Marketing and communications opportunities
- Attracting blue chip and/or anchor tenants, who often value or have requirements for high performing buildings
- Increasing the likelihood of achieving your desired build quality and operational performance
- Respected process involving an expert third-party, Independent Design Review to highlight risks
- May help your office building comply with the National Construction Code 2019.
Read the Commitment Agreement contract to find out more about the steps, rights and obligations involved in entering into a Commitment Agreement.
Still have questions? Email us at nabers [at] environment.nsw.gov.au (subject: Commitment%20Agreements) .