Shopping Centres can slash their energy and water costs by around 25% by peeling back the layers of their building’s performance with a NABERS rating.
NABERS ratings for shopping centres quantify your building’s energy and water performance. We give your building a rating from one to six stars, based on the energy and water efficiency of the central services and common areas of your building. This includes all facilities provided to retail tenants and the associated back-of-house facilities.
Your NABERS rating can then be used to identify areas for cost savings and building improvements, as well as to promote the environmental credentials of your building, helping you to attract premium tenants and increase rental yields.
Energy and Water ratings
NABERS Energy and Water ratings for shopping centres assess and rate all services provided by the shopping centre owner to retail tenants and the associated back-of-house requirements. This includes:
- All services provided to common areas
- Air-conditioning services provided to tenants
- All water consumption across retail applications
- Services provided to car park
- All vertical transportation located within common areas
Note: The rating does not include tenancy energy use for light and power.
Preparing for your rating
To prepare for your NABERS rating:
- Get ready: Source quotes from a few NABERS Accredited Assessors to understand the scope of work, then present your case to your your management team for approval.
- Gather your data: Collect 12 months of historical data on energy and water consumption, and details about the size and features of your building. Your Assessor will be able to guide you.
- Achieve NABERS certification: Organise for your Assessor to conduct a site visit to validate your data and identify areas for improvement.
- Improve your rating: Take action to reduce your energy and water consumption during the next 12 months and enjoy the savings. Collect data to feed back into your next rating to track your performance.
For more information about preparing for a shopping centre rating, consult our NABERS for Shopping Centres fact sheet.
Waste Verification Report
Get access to the NABERS Waste Platform and receive a NABERS Waste Verification Report once a NABERS Accredited Assessor has verified your data. Upload and track your building’s waste data month-to-month using a platform that converts your data into useful management insights.
You’ll receive the following results in your verification report;
- Identifying information about the building.
- Total landfill waste: The total weight of all waste going to landfill.
- Total recycled waste: The total weight of waste avoiding landfill.
- Validity period for the information.
- Waste Intensity: The total weight of all waste generation for a site compared to the sites allocated metric over a year.
- A data quality score achieved through a combination of weight-based waste data, audits, bin counts, verification and a reasonableness check.
The report also includes a Verified waste score, this is a composite metric of the building’s NABERS Verified Recycled Rate (VRR) and the Material Recovery Score (MRS) of each waste stream, as described below. This score can be used to compare between similar buildings, for example a shopping centre to another shopping centre.
- The Verified Recycling Rate (VRR) is the adjusted recycling rate after the assessor has assessed the data quality score it has been applied to recycling rate.
- The Material Recovery Score (MRS) recognises a building’s contribution to better resource recovery and reduced potential pollution, by rewarding the best feasible recovery of material.