The NABERS for Shopping Centres rating has had strong uptake – with almost 150 centres rated last financial year. To date, most of the centres rated were larger than 15,000m2 – as the NABERS benchmarks were not considered representative for smaller centres.
NABERS was asked by industry to expand the benchmarks to these smaller centres so that they could get full coverage of their portfolios. Property Council of Australia research also indicated that 75% of all shopping centres across Australia are smaller than 15,000m2. So this expansion now covers the 75% of shopping centres not previously covered by our tool.
On 1 July NABERS launched new benchmarks for small shopping centres. Ratings are now representative for:
- All shopping centres for water ratings; and
- Shopping centres greater than 5,000m2 for energy.
While most of the information to be collected is the same as for large shopping centres there are some key differences – more information can be found on the shopping centres page.
NABERS would like to thank the following organisations for supporting the development of this rating tool:
- Steven Peters - ISPT
- Greg Johnson - Stockland
- Alex Sejournee - HFM assets
- Christina Hughes - Charter Hall
- Marc Gillespie - Vicinity
- Andrew Thai - Frasers Property
- Rod Kington - GE Group
- Lisa Williams - NettZero
- Darren Teoh - AMP Capital
- Choong Han Yeo - GPT
- Jaafar Ahmed - Energy Action
If you have any questions about the new NABERS rating for small shopping centres please contact NABERS at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Visit the shopping centres page
- Read the NABERS Energy and Water Ratings for Shopping Centres - The Rules (v3.0)
- Read the Rules release notes and Factsheet for using NABERS Rate
- Read Preparing for a Shopping Centre Rating - a Guide for NABERS Users
- Register for our new Shopping Centres training course. Note, if you’re already an accredited Shopping Centre Assessor you don’t need to take the course again. But if you’d like to see what’s new we can re-enrol you at no cost. Email NABERS Training Manager Astrid Neve.