- Data gallery
Go to top of page
NABERS Waste measures and scores how well office buildings manage waste generation and recycling and compares them to our industry benchmark. The rating is driven by a new online platform which tracks data month to month, converts waste data into useful management insights, and calculates a NABERS rating of up to six stars.
In this section
In June 2018, we launched a new method to rate the operational waste performance of office buildings. The rating assesses the recycling performance of an office building by comparing its recycling rate to an industry benchmark.
To obtain a rating, you need to upload 12 months of your operational waste data to the Waste Manager Platform.
In order to create a fair comparison between buildings the Waste Rating system recognises core and optional types of waste. Data for core waste types are required for a rating.
The core waste types are:
- General waste
- Dry waste
- Mixed recycling
Waste audits and data quality
The recycling rate calculation is affected by two audits:
- A contamination audit. This audit determines the weight of materials in a waste stream that have not been placed in the correct bin, and would be placed in landfill at the next stage of the waste management process.
- A site density audit. This audit is used to convert the number of bins collected from a site into an estimated weight, in cases where weight data has not been provided.
The platform applies a data uncertainty factor to the rating calculation to determine the final star value. This factor acts as a confidence interval on the sources of data used for the rating, to ensure a robust rating.
A building may achieve a better rating if its manager commissions audits by a NABERS Accredited Assessor, following the method set out in the NABERS Waste for Offices Rules.
NABERS offers two benchmark options for the rating:
- Base building - Measures only those wastes contracted by the building owner. This rating provides insights into the management of the building, irrespective of which tenants are in the building.
- Whole building - Measures any waste that leaves from the building, where it can be reliably measured. This rating suits a building with highly engaged tenants who are working with building management.
We have develeoped an online platform to make it simpler to understand your waste data. The platform provides visibility of the waste streams leaving your building and your recycling rate. These insights should lead to improvements and may improve your recycling performance.
The platform can be used to monitor:
- Frequency of waste collections
- Volumes or weights collected
- Types of waste streams
Watch the video below to learn more about the platform.
Currently, the Waste Rating method is only available for commercial office buildings. The online platform is available for office buildings, shopping centres, hotels and data centres.
Learn more about the new Waste rating methodology in the Introduction to the Waste Rating Guide.
We have also created a Waste Platform User Support Kit. The kit contains support documents that can help users to:
- Understand how to get a NABERS Waste rating
- Sign up to the Waste Manager Platform
- Register a building
- Upload waste data to the Platform
- How to assign an Assessor to complete a rating.