- Find an Accredited Assessor
- Our ratings
- Spaces we rate
- Calculation tools
- Find a current rating
- After your rating
- NABERS Accelerate
- Commitment Agreements
Go to top of page
NABERS Waste Rules and support documentation
1 March 2022
In this section
The NABERS Waste Manager
The NABERS Waste Manager is an online platform that is used to calculate a Waste Rating. It can also be used to track a commercial building’s waste and recycling performance. All user support documents for the platform can be found below. This includes the current version of the data upload template for the platform.
The new NABERS Waste Rating guide provides an introduction to the NABERS Waste Rating methodology and data platform which launched in June 2018. The platform allows building managers and waste companies to upload waste data on a regular basis to an online site, allowing them to visualise and monitor their waste performance.
Who can use the Waste Manager?
Anyone with a valid NABERS login and password can use the Waste Manager.
If you are new to the platform, then we recommend you complete our free online training on how to use the Waste Manager platform.
Why our data format?
NABERS worked with the commercial property sector to develop a national standard waste reporting format. These reports allow waste producers to become more consistent across the sector which makes it easier to benchmark waste performance improvements.
This format is becoming a national standard for the collection of commercial waste data. The format:
- meets the needs of the Better Buildings Partnerships Operational Waste Guidelines;
- can be used for Green Star points through the Green Building Council of Australia; and
- aligns with the waste industry’s move to weight-based reporting
By delivering waste data in this format, you will be offering your clients best practice reporting.
Here is how it works:
- An organisation sets up their building on the NABERS Waste Manager and contacts their waste contractors to discuss data reporting needs and confirm waste collection details for the building.
- Waste contractor creates a login for NABERS. Complete the Waste Contractor form, available in the list below and email to NABERS.
- Waste contractor saves the organisation’s waste collection data into the correct format. See NABERS’s Waste Platform Data Template below.
- Waste contractor logs into NABERS Waste Manager and uploads data for the building.
- The organisation can view and use this data to generate a waste rating, and for ongoing management of their operational waste performance.
NABERS has free online training on how to use the platform. The training will give you:
- an overall understanding of how the platform works;
- detail on how to upload data to the platform;
- an understanding of how organisations will view and use the data; and
- the skills to troubleshoot data upload issues.
A NABERS Waste Rating is a benchmark of a building’s waste management performance expressed on a star rating scale.
The Waste Rating gauges the environmental impact of waste leaving a building.
The NABERS Waste Rules set requirements for conducting evaluations and are used by NABERS Assessors to rate the waste management and resource recovery performance of any building type.
NABERS ratings must be performed by a NABERS Accredited Assessor and comply with the quality standard set in the principles and rules for gathering, interpreting and using data.
- NABERS Waste for Offices Rules (v1.3 published February 2021)
NABERS Rulings & Clarifications
- NABERS Waste Rating Technical Ruling (v1.4 published June 2021)
- NABERS Waste Data Verification Ruling (v1.0 published February 2021)
- NABERS Waste calculations spreadsheet. This spreadsheet is required for section 6 and section 7 of the Rules (v3.0, updated September 2019).
If you have any questions regarding the interpretation or application of the Rules, please contact nabers [at] environment.nsw.gov.au.
This Ruling aims to clarify how Assessors verify the waste data for any building type that does not have a waste benchmark rating under the NABERS system.
NABERS continues to encourage open dialogue and welcomes feedback on the Ruling so that necessary improvements can be made to ensure it is fit for purpose across all building types.
- Clarification and requirements for the verification of waste data for all building types
- Requirements for Platform Administrators and Assessors
- All Rulings are to be read in conjunction with the respective NABERS Rules
If you have any questions regarding the interpretation or application of the new Ruling, please contact nabers [at] environment.nsw.gov.au.
Templates and other supporting documents
The following templates and documents can be downloaded below:
- Waste data template and its instructions
- A form to create your company on our database so you can access the platform
- Waste Platform Data Format and Instructions
- Waste Platform Data Template
- The setup information form (NABERS requires this information to ensure a smooth setup for your building.)
- A reference table for user types on the Waste Platform
- A list of waste types available on the platform, and the values NABERS uses for calculations
Helpful relevant user guides
The following guides can be downloaded below:
- The NABERS Waste Rating Guide
- User Guide for Waste Contractors
- User guide on how to register a building on the platform, and add user accounts
- A guide on common errors relating to data uploads and how to fix them
- How to assign an Accredited Assessor to a Waste Rating (The Waste Rules also contain procedures for the rating)
- User guide explaining what the Material Recovery Score is, how it works and how it can affect your Waste Rating
NABERS Ruling- Waste Data Verification_v1.0.pdf (662.37 KB)
Waste Platform Data Template.xlsx (207.42 KB)
Waste Platform Data Format and Instructions.xlsx (403.14 KB)
NABERS Waste the Rules v1.3.pdf (1.9 MB)
NABERS Waste Rating Technical Rulings v1.4.pdf (100.98 KB)